This stage follows the high ground on the west side of the Derwent all the way to Matlock, initially sharing the route of the Derwent Valley Heritage Way as far as Ambergate. It climbs through Shining Cliff Woods, past Alderwasley Hall (now a school) and over Longway Bank to cross below the High Peak Trail’s Sheep Pasture Incline. It reaches a wonderful viewpoint over historic Cromford, before descending into the village, only to regain height to pass above Matlock Bath, skirting the Heights of Abraham, before the final descent into the county town of Matlock.
- Length: 10.5 miles (17 km)
- Ascent: 2025 feet (617 m)
- Lowest Point: 208 feet (63 m)
- Highest Point: 684 feet (209 m)
- Approximate walking time (excluding stops): 4 hours 20 minutes
- Refreshments: Belper, Cromford, Matlock