This stage leaves Derby via the route of the Derwent Valley Heritage Way through Darley Park and Darley Abbey, where the river is crossed for the first time. It deviates from the Heritage Way to reach Breadsall, rejoining it for a while in Little Eaton, before taking the high ground to Holbrook. The Way is joined again at the historic Holly Bush Inn in Makeney, as far as Milford. Here the route crosses back to the west bank of the river to follow North Lane along the high ridge of The Chevin. The final section descends to meet the river at the mill complex in Belper, from where trains or buses can take you back to Derby.
- Length: 12.5 miles (20 km)
- Ascent: 1360 feet (415 m)
- Lowest Point: 144 feet (44 m)
- Highest Point: 580 feet (177 m)
- Approximate walking time (excluding stops): 4 hours 45 minutes
- Refreshments: Derby, Darley Park, Little Eaton, Holbrook, Makeney, Milford, Belper